Universal Desing for Learning

In Glogpedia

by saravan
Last updated 3 years ago

Discipline:
Resources & Tools
Subject:
Lesson Planning

Toggle fullscreen Print glog
Universal Desing for Learning

What is important to remember while implementing these in the classroom?1. DifferentiationDifferentiation is important because not every student will be able to complete the same task the same way. By providing students with different avenues to explore the content, students can perceive the information in multiple ways allowing for a greater understanding. It is also important to allow for different group settings and to make sure to set up goals that align with the expected outcome of the task.2. Under/Over Representation(Marginalization)Within the special education field there has been an issue of both under and over representation. Groups have been referred too quickly due to different backgrounds or learning opportunities. The groups that are over represented in Special Education are primarily African Americans and Hispanics. While Asian Americans tend to be under represented. Along with representation in Special Education comes the biases we all face as educators and seeing them among tests and referrals. It is important to not overlook these aspects.

3 Principles of UDL1. Provide Multiple means of Representation (Show a video, play an interactive game, provide text, look at other ways students can explore the topic)2. Provide Multiple means of Action & Expression (Each student goes through information differently. How they convey this information should be offered in multiple ways)3. Provide Multiple means of Engagement (Using your knowledge of what students like to intrest them in the topic or activity is important. Build off of their motivations)

Positive Behavioral & Intervention Supports(PBIS)PBIS is a support system that is muli tiered just like RTI but it looks at students behavior. PBIS focuses on how to positively step in to create an environment of success emotionally and socially to promote good decision making.

Universal Design For Learning- What is it?- Why is it important?

What does this mean?UDL (Universal Design for Learning) is a framework for educators to optimize their students learning potentials. Within UDL there are three principles that are important to recognize.

Resources!

What Can This Look Like?And what does it all entail?

Tier Set UpFor Both RTI & PBIS

Multi Tiered Systemof Support (MTSS)MTSS is used as a way for educators to take different approaches in academics and behavior in classrooms and combining it to make a better universal design for learning.

1. Universal Screening2. Tiered Instruction3. Progress Monitoring

Response to Intervention (RTI)RTI is a multi tiered apporach geared towards academics. It has three tiers that each target a groups needs. This was created to help track students so they did not fall between the cracks or get lost in the shuffle of things.

Not Just for Reading! Any Academics!

Tier Three 5%

Tier Two 15%

Tier One 80%

CLICKMEFOR INFO

RESOURCE!

What Each Tier MeansTier One: This tier is instruction that is given to all students. However, this strategy is only benifiting 80% of the students as they are the only ones responding to it.Tier Two: Tier two is instruction or support given to the remaining 20% of students that were struggling with the first part. During this section small group instruction or targeted small group targeted behavior supports are given.Tier Three: Tier three is given to the remaining 5% that have not responded to the intervention and are still having a common misconseption or issue. This is a more individualized step that allows teachers to review either the behavior or academic struggle BEFORE referring them for any other special services.

RESOURCE!

Sites I Used for the Glog


Comments

    There are no comments for this Glog.