Temple Of St. Nickolaos Orphan

In Glogpedia

by des77
Last updated 4 years ago

Discipline:
Arts & Music
Subject:
Architecture
Grade:
11

Toggle fullscreen Print glog
Temple Of St. Nickolaos Orphan

The church's nameThe church's name, "Saint Nicholas the Orphan", is first attested in the 17th and 18th centuries, and presumably refers to its otherwise unknown ktetor (founder). From its interior decoration, the building is dated to the period 1310–1320. The church originally formed part of a monastery, traces of which (remnants of a gate) survive to the east.

Nickolaos Orphan

Temple Nickolaos Orphan

The church is most notable for its frescoes, contemporary with the church's construction, which cover almost the entire interior surface. The frescoes are an example of the Thessalonican school at the height of the "Palaiologan Renaissance", and their creator may be the same who decorated the Hilandar monastery in Mount Athos in 1314. The church has been linked to the Serbian king Stephen Uroš II Milutin (r. 1282–1321), who is known to have sponsored churches in the city, on account of the depiction in the main aisle of St George Gorgos, the Serbian ruler's patron saint, and of St. Clemens of Ohrid, a favourite motif of the Serbian churches.

Temple of st. Nickolaos Orphan

Working groupAlexandros,Nikolas and George

The church was originally built as a simple, single-aisled edifice with a wooden gabled roof. Later, aisles were added on three sides. They form an ambulatory, under whose floor several graves have been found. The masonry features irregular layers of brick and stone, with a few ceramics on the eastern side and brick decoration on the eastern and western sides. In the interior, the central aisle is connected to the others with double openings decorated with reused late antique capitals. The church's original marble templon survives.

6th Intercultural Primary School of Evosmos, Thessaloniki


Comments

    There are no comments for this Glog.