Santry City - History Timeline

In Glogpedia

by Mia92
Last updated 6 years ago

Discipline:
Social Studies
Subject:
History
Grade:
6

Toggle fullscreen Print glog
Santry City - History Timeline

Santry was the scene of violence in the early months of the Irish Rebellion of 1641,when a small expedition of English army men led by Sir Charles Coote mistakenly killed a group of local farm labourers, who were sleeping in the fields there. Coote had assumed they were rebels preparing to attack Dublin.

Santry's History Timeline

Our home town Santry has an amazing history! Let's take a look at Santry's past...

Time Line

The 9th Century

Viking Invasions and Norse Farmers.

In 1581 the lands of Santry were awarded to William Nugent who then lost it after falling out of favour with the Crown because of his religion.In 1520 the lands of Santry were confiscated from Nugent’s aristocratic but Catholic offspring, the Barnewalls.

Barry family (originally from Cork) took charge of the estate and tenants and became the Lords of Santry where they remained in title for three or four generations. King Charles II made Sir James Barry, then only a knight, Baron of Santry

The 12th Century

Santry: home of the fair haired foreigners

The 16th Century

The Lords and Barons of Santry

The 17th century

The 18th Century

Santry and the Irish Rebellion

The 'Bloody Hollows' of Santry.

How did Santry get it's name?Santry is an anglicisation of the Irish placename Shean Triabh (pronounced Shan-treev) which literally means "Old tribe". Although not verified, the book of Leccan refers to a tribe called the Almanii who inhabited the area, which might have been the source of the name.

During the Viking invasions a number of peaceful Norse farmers moved into the North Dublin area, which proved to be excellent farmland. These Norsemen were famous for their agricultural prowess, crafts . They also brought new pastimes and strange Scandinavian phrases which are thought to survive to today further away from the city.

During the 12th century Santry was under the rule of Mac Gilla Mocholmog, chief of Fingal, who then established his base in Santry.

After this time people began to refer to the area north of the River Tolka, including from Santry and north to Swords, Lusk, and beyond as "Fingal", which translates as "fair-haired foreigner"

1170, Hugh de Lacy, Lord of Meath granted Santry to one of his most trusted lieutenants, Adam de Feypo.

Horrible Histories Ireland in the 17th Century

In the Irish Rebellion of 1798 United Irishmen from all over Fingal marched south towards Dublin city but were met by a company of local Yeomanry (government militia) from Santry village and were massacred. The bloodshed was so bad in this action that the area at the Northern gateway to Santry Demesne (now near the Little Venice Restaurant) was known as “Bloody Hollows” for several years after. Later a Royal Irish Constabulary station was located on the site of the present-day restaurant.


Tags

Comments

    There are no comments for this Glog.