Rockhopper Penguin

In Glogpedia

by martinbio
Last updated 5 years ago

Discipline:
Science
Subject:
Animals

Toggle fullscreen Print glog
Rockhopper Penguin

Rockhopper Penguin

By: Courtney Pierce

Get inspired

Key Info

1) An endangered species is qualified as a species of animal or plant that is seriously at risk of extinction. 2) Northern rockhopper penguins breed on a few remote islands in the Atlantic and Indian Oceans. 80% of the entire population of this endangered species are found in the Atlantic. The other 20% breeds in the Indian Ocean, on Amsterdam and St. Paul Islands in the French Southern Territories.

Case Study

Causes of endangerment:-habitat destruction-introduction of non-native species-overexploitation -damaging health affects caused by humans

Nightingale Island Oil Spill, 2011

-In 2011, a cargo ship was carrying crude oil and soya beans from Brazil was grounded on Nightingale Island. This island is home to around 200,000 penguins, including mostly the endangered Rockhopper penguin. One of the ships oil tanks was damaged causing a large amount of oil to encirlce the Island. Around 20,000 penguins were covered in oil.

Lovelace from "Happy Feet" was a rockhopper penguin who was harmed by human waste too.

Click here to watch a video about the damaging effects of oil spills on penguins.

-The Endangered Species Act of 1973 (ESA) protects registered endangered species by removing them from the “take” list, which makes it unlawful for a person to shoot, harm, capture, trap, or attempt any such actions to the species.

For more information go to these links:-http://www.penguins-world.com/penguins-endangered/-https://suite.io/dawn-m-smith/5cr82an


Comments

    There are no comments for this Glog.