Next-Gen

Poznan - Following the traces of different confessions

by You,
Last updated 1 year ago

Discipline:
Arts & Music
Subject:
Architecture

Toggle fullscreen Print glog
Poznan - Following the traces of different confessions

POZNAN - FOLLOWING THE TRACESOF DIFFERENT CONFESSIONS

The Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church (also called Unite Church) - parish church of the Protection of the Mother of God, ul. Toruńska 8. Created in the building of former Roman Catholic Church, built in the interwar pedriod. The Unite Church parish has been functioning there since 1998.

The Polish Orthodos Church of St. Nicholas, ul. Marcelińska 20. The building was created in the early 20th century and it was initially used as a stable for the Prussian army. In the interwar period it served as the garrison church for the soldiers of Orthodox confession. In the 1980s wooden walls were covered by masonry, giving the church its contemporary look.

The Evangelical-Methodist Church of the Holy Cross, ul Ogrodowa 6. The building was erected at the turn of the 20th century. It served as Evangelical Lutheran church and to the Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession. Since 1946 it has servedas a Methodist church.

The New Synagogue, ul. Wroniecka 17. It was a place of worship for the Jewish commune from 1907 until the outbreakof World War II. During the Nazi occupation, it was re-built into an indoor swimming pool for the German soldiers of Wehrmacht. At present it is owned by the Union of Jewish Religious Communities in Poland.

Roman Catholic Cathedralof St. Peter and St. Paul, Ostrów Tumski 17. It is the place of burial of the first Polish rulers and the probable location of baptism of Mieszko I. Built in the early Romanesque period, re-gothicised after WW II destruction.

The Polish National Catholic Church of St. Casimir, ul Bydgoska 4B. The church was built in the Baroque for the Reformati monks. After the dissolution of the order in the 19th century, it served as a military hospital, a college for teachers and an institution for the deaf-mute.In 1973, the church was ceded to the Polish-Catholic parish.

The chapel of the Cristian Baptist Church, ul. Grunwaldzka 53. The Neo-Gothic building was built in the early 20th century as a mortuary for the hospital run by a Lutheran congregation of deaconess sisters. In 1962 the building was ceded to the Christian Baptist Church.

The chapel of the Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession, ul Grunwaldzka 48. Built at the turn of the 20th century as a cemetery chapel fot the Ecangelical parish. After World War II it was used as a small assembly place for the Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession. The last service in the building was held in 2003.


Comments

    There are no comments for this Glog.