Haiti

In Glogpedia

by liltaii
Last updated 5 years ago

Discipline:
Social Studies
Subject:
Geography

Toggle fullscreen Print glog
Haiti

Organization

Taylor SingletonPrecious ClarkeMod 1B

Haiti averages approximately 255 people per square kilometer. The nation is multi-ethnic, home to peoples of different races and ethnic groups. About 75% of Haitians are of predominantly African race. The other 25% is primarily mulattoes, Europeans, Asians and Arabs. Most of Hispanics residents in Haiti are Cuban and Dominican. About two thirds of the Haitian population live in rural areas.

Haiti is the third largest Caribbean nation. It occupies the western third of the island of Hispaniola, between the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, which it shares with the Dominican Republic. Haiti has an area of 27,750 square kilometers, almost the same size as Maryland. The capital and largest city of Haiti is Port-au-Prince.

Organizations like "Compassion International" and "World Relief" have helped Haiti in many attempts to relieve famine and ill law and order practices.Compassion International alone, raised 3.2 million US dollars for for food and medicine shipment to Haiti in the year 2013. This was apart of the organization's efforts to reduce malnutrition in Haitian children.

Haiti

The government’s human rights record is poor; political killings, kidnapping, torture, and unlawful incarceration are common unofficial practices. Even though, the constitution mandates an independent judiciary and the right to a fair trial, prolonged pretrial detention remains a serious problem. Also, since the court system and its records are poorly organized, it is impossible to determine the percentage of prisoners being held without trial.

The government in Haiti runs on a slow, inefficient, and corrupt system of justice. The type of government in Haiti is a Republic. The government is ruled by elected leaders according to law, but still the power resides in the people. The republic keeps the people from voting their rights away.

Progress

In 2012 Haiti was named the poorest country in the world with one of the worst judicial systems. In the past 4 years, from 2011- present, World Relief has sent researchers, journalist and political science majors to Haiti to meet with Haitian law makers and government officials to set new boundaries to crime and punishment.

Sending volunteers to help with relief efforts in Haiti would be the most obvious and practical thing to do, however spending money on transportation for volunteers would take money from food and other necessities Haitians need. It would be better for more people to continue to donate money to these charities as they try to make Haiti a developed nation.As a class, we can donate to "Compassion International" in order to help them with providing for the people in Haiti. "It's the little things that makes a big difference"

What can we do?


Tags

Comments

    There are no comments for this Glog.