Disease: Cystic Fibrosis

In Glogpedia

by tatumuruburu
Last updated 5 years ago

Health & Fitness

Toggle fullscreen Print glog
Disease: Cystic Fibrosis

Disea e


What is it?






Cystic fibrosis is a hereditary disorder affecting the exocrine glands. It causes the production of abnormally thick mucus, commonly resulting in respiratory infection.

Screening of newborns for cystic fibrosis is now performed in all 50 states. As a result, the condition can be diagnosed within the first month of life, before symptoms develop.

Airway clearance techniques loosen thick, sticky mucus so it can be cleared from your lungs by coughing or huffing. Inhaled treatments can be given by an aerosol solution. A mist made from liquid medicines to reach deep into the airways.

A defect in the CFTR gene causes cystic fibrosis. Everyone inherits two copies of the CFTR gene, one from each parent. If each parent has a normal CFTR gene and a faulty CFTR gene, the child has a 25 percent chance of inheriting two normal genes; a 50 percent chance of inheriting one normal gene and one faulty gene; and a 25 percent chance of inheriting two faulty genes.

• More than normal level of salt in sweat•A persistent cough with thick mucus•Wheezing•Breathlessness•Exercise intolerance•Repeated lung infections•Inflamed nasal passages or a stuffy nose



    There are no comments for this Glog.