Cystic Fibrosis

In Glogpedia

by sx5nyk4bm
Last updated 4 years ago

Discipline:
Health & Fitness
Subject:
Health
Grade:
11

Toggle fullscreen Print glog
Cystic Fibrosis

DO I HAVE CYSTIC FIBROSIS?

Cystic Fibrosis

Cystic Fibrosis is a disease which affects organs such as the pancreas, liver, lungs and intestines. It disrupts the body’s salt balance leaving the cells which line the lungs with a thin layer of mucus. This mucus can be difficult to remove and clogs the airways which lead to infections and damaged lungs. It is a hereditary disease that causes failure of multiple body systems and the developing of serious disability.

Cystic Fibrosis is caused by the mutation of a gene. This gene, known as the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (or CFTR), is responsible for the function of sweat, mucus and digestive juices. A normal functioning body has one copy of this gene and as such Cystic Fibrosis is prevented. Those who at least one altered or mutated CFTR gene may develop Cystic Fibrosis.Cystic Fibrosis is not contagious; it is a hereditary disease which is passed from

parent to child. If both parents are carriers of one defective gene the child will inherit the disease. This only occurs when the child receives two copies of the defective gene. If the child has two parents who are carriers the child has a 25% chance of having cystic fibrosis and being a carrier, a 25% chance of not being affected or being a carrier and a 50% chance of not developing the disease but being a carrier. This causes the spread of the disease through the population.

WHAT IS CYSTIC FIBROSIS?

WHAT CAUSES CYSTIC FIBROSIS?

HEAR THEIR SAY!

The symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis include: -Skin which is overly salty-Persistent coughing, often with phlegm or excess mucus-Frequent lung infections such as pneumonia and bronchitis -Wheezing and shortness of breath-Little weight gain and poor growth, even with a healthy appetite-Frequent greasy, bulky stools ortrouble with defecation-Nasal polyps 

CLICK FOR MORE INFORMATION

TREATMENT OF CYSTIC FIBROSIS

Cystic Fibrosis has no known cure but measures can be taken to prolong life and reduce symptoms. Through proper nutrition, specialized medical care and aggressive drug treatments and therapies the symptoms may be controlled.

Treatment includes methods to clear mucus from lungs such as mucus thinners, antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and bronchodilators. The patient will also be required to take pancreatic enzyme supplements as their pancreas is defective. If lung function is especially low a lung transplant may be required.Future medicine suggests that there may be the possibility of altering genes to replace the defective CFTR gene with a healthy one.


Comments

    There are no comments for this Glog.