A Divided Nation

In Glogpedia

by BrookeValenzuela
Last updated 4 years ago

Discipline:
Social Studies
Subject:
African-American History

Toggle fullscreen Print glog
A Divided Nation

A divided Nation

The Kansas/Nebraska Act of 1854 may have been the single most significant event leading to tThe Civil War

Senator Henry Clay of Kentucky had helped to settle the Missouri crisis of 1832-33 by proposing compromises

1850

The U.S. Supreme Court issues a decision in the Dred Scott case affirming the right of slave owners to take their slaves into the western territories

Abraham Lincoln came up with 40% of the votes, with the other canidates recieving the other 60%

The force of events moved very quickly upon the election of Lincoln. South Carolina acted first, calling for a convention to secede from the Union.

1854

History

1950

1857

1860

1860

In the days leading up to the Civil W President Abraham Lincoln is quoted as saying " A house divided against itself cannot stand." What did he mean by this? Clearly he was saying that the United States of America had to remain just that, united. In order to continue to exist as a nation we had to truly be unified. What Lincoln was reacting to were the many conflicts that were dividing this great nation. We call these divisions sectionalism


Comments

    There are no comments for this Glog.