Next-Gen

Mission San Juan Bautista

In Glogpedia

by tsams
Last updated 1 year ago

Discipline:
Social Studies
Subject:
American History
Grade:
4

Test Glog

Mission San Juan Bautista

The first building is mostly plain but it does have three arches and a window. The mission is 188 feet long, 40 feet long, and 72 feet wide. It has the largest church of all the other 21 missions and it is made of adobe, tile roof, and tile floor. It is three feet thick with some cement support. The missions´s walls are painted in native-style designs. The church did not have a bell tower but it did have 2 bells that hung from a wooden bell rock.

The land was taken back by the government after secularization. Father Pedro Estèvan Tàpis and Father Felipe Arroya de la Cuesta in 1815 began to teach the Indians to sing. When Father Tapis died in 1825, he was buried on the mission grounds. The three-bell campanario that was located near the entrance, was fully restored in 2010. The cemetery has over 4,000 Native Americans converts and Europeans buried there.

Introduction Mission San Juan Bautista was founded June 24, 1797 by Father Fermìn Lasuèn. It was named in honor of St. John the baptist from the Bible. Mission San Juan Bautista is nicknamed,´´ The Mission of Music.´´ It is located 90 miles southeast of San Francisco. Mission San Juan Bautista was the 15th mission.

Introduction

The Mutson tribe and the Yokut tribe both came to the mission and the largest Indian tribe to come to the mission was the Yokut tribe. The largest population at the mission was set in 1823 with 1,248 people. It was attacked by Hostile Tulare Indians. It survived the 1812 and 1906 earthquake but had to rebuild the church because the mission was too close to the San Andreas Fault line and that is where it struke. There was a plaza being built in front of San Juan Bautista. The mission was being guided by Father Tapis and Father Cuesta. Father Cuesta had a gift of language, being an architect, a scholar, and a musician. Father Tapis was a good musician like Father Cuesta and really had a gift for music.

History

Description

Today, Fr. Fermin Francisco de Lasuèn is the president of San Juan Bautista. There is wall painting that were done in 1820 that are still bright. Visitors can see a restored kitchen area and the mission is an active parish church. Only the large front wing is standing. People can see El Camino Real by going to the cemetery. Some of the buildings are stronger due to the 1903 earthquake. It has famous hand organ in the museum.

Present Day


Comments

    There are no comments for this Glog.